Saturday, April 4, 2020

If I Knew Then: Nineteen Years Later


Just like clockwork, I am wide awake a few minutes past midnight on April 4th. Went to bed with an unexplainable migraine and woke up with words and memories and sadness running through my head - result my first poem since childhood. Dedicated to all those suffering the loss of loved ones during this horrific Pandemic COVID-19.

To my little brother on April 4, 2020,


If I knew then what I know now, 
I would have told you that I love you,
I would have said it with a smile.
Drewman on Sanibel Island Jan 2001


I would have gotten on a bus or train or driven the extra miles.

I would have sang your favorite song, while dancing under the clouds.

I would have told you that I loved you, I would have said it without denial.

I would have told you I was sorry for not knowing how. . .

. . to save you, for not taking away your pain, for not always showing you the love I felt so deep in my veins.

If I knew then what I know now,
I would have begged God to forgive us for our many sins.
I would have asked God to give us more time and not allow your life to end.

If I had only known then, 
what I hate knowing now
that life without you is a struggle
despite me knowing how.

much love - missing you,
your big sister

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful reflection cousin. - From one big sis to the next

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my goodness you just made me cry! O what would it be like if he was still here! To see him grow up to be the twin to his father. I miss both of them. Beautiful poem Carla. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful. so touching...so many moments missed at once but lived in love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful!! It’s why I always end my interactions with everyone I love with “I LOVE YOU!”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and heart felt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a beautiful sentiment sis. I didn't know that Drew had passed away. I remember how funny he was as a kid. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and very cathartic to write your memory down. Drew is still with you in your heart and mind and there is nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful poem Carla. Thought invoking.

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete