Friday, January 31, 2020

The Time is Now: My Reflections Post Kobe Tragedy

I am sitting on the couch with my 16 year old son watching the first Lakers game post the tragic death of Kobe Bryant, his daughter and the seven others who died on Sunday, January 26th as a result of a helicopter crash.  I had to get up and grab my computer so I could record these thoughts.  This blog is my way of keeping track of monumental events that occurred during my kids lives. So, please forgive this unedited fresh synopsis of my current moment.

As we were watching the tribute to Kobe and the game, I shared with my son that when Kobe was recruited by the NBA right outside of High school, it was quite a controversy because he was passing up an opportunity to go to college and heading to what we as black folks thought was a huge risk - a potential career as a professional athlete.  For my generation and my family in particular, it was ingrained in us that the way to go up and out was to get an education.  Professional sports was simply high paid slavery, where young black athletes were used and abused and spit out with nothing to fall back on.  Getting an education gave you something to fallback on, in the event your athletic career ended abruptly, when your career ended due to age, or if you decide to do something else.  Seeing someone as bright and well-prepared with the privilege that Kobe had chose the NBA over college was very painful for many African-Americans who had invested so much in trying to convince their own offspring to stay focused on school and work and a solid, stable career.  It was hard for us who knew the significant delta between the amount of money the white managers and owners of the teams and league made compared to what the black athletes were paid.

The whole time I am talking to my son he is saying "Yeah, mom, but..." and I would not let him get a word in edgewise.  Because believe it or not, I still believe some of what I said.  Education is the key.  Professional athletes are pawns in a very lucrative chess game and even though they make more money than I will ever make, it is proportionally so much less than the "owners" or the masters of the game.  But now I pause..... guess what.... the amount of money I make is proportionally so much less than the owners and the masters of the game that I play everyday after spending well over $100,000 on my education.

I also recognize after listening to my son, I am the same person who is always preaching how short and unpredictable life is and how I know that from first hand experience.  My brother died at age 28.  A young African-American male with his entire life ahead of him.  It is a tragedy and a pain that I live with every day, but I find peace by reminding myself and others that we must live into our joy and do what we can now for others because we do not know what tomorrow brings.

Dear Kobe - Thank you for living into your power and your joy.  Thank you for doing what you loved and sharing that gift with the world.  At the time, I had no idea how much time you would have on this earth, but praise God you used every minute of it for what God intended.  You used it to motivate, to inspire, to achieve great things, to make money and spend money, to help others, to give life to four beautiful girls who will one day rule the world.  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for not listening to the old fashion, old school generation who believed their way was the only way up and out.  You proved us all wrong. Keep soaring and flying and spreading your love in angelic ways.

We love you and I am so glad that I was able to sit on the couch this evening and do something that my son and I rarely get to do, which is have a life changing moment that I hope will motivate him to live into his power and to spread love and joy as you did.

Love,
carladenise - a fan who didn't even know it!

3 comments:

  1. I always believed your thinking is right. Whether athletes or entertainers, I surmised those talented people need an education as an insurance policy for when talent is no longer a steady source of income. I still do. Generosity of spirit and largesse are admirable qualities in special and ordinary people. Communicating this to the next generation, is the best part of parenting. I’m so glad you’re making the most of, and enjoying, these opportunities. Always, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on, Carladenise, from one who has played professional sports but also managed to earn the diploma.

    ReplyDelete