Saturday, December 22, 2012

During the holidays cry a little, but laugh a lot!


Kids will be kids…especially when it is raining outside.

So much has happened in the past week that I could write a book, as opposed to a blog.  Many have asked me “What was William and Zora’s reaction to the shootings in Connecticut?”  While, I am thinking the more appropriate question is “What was Mommy and Daddy’s reaction?” 
The morning after the event, we tried to explain it to them in case they heard something or saw something on television.  Needless to say, William was more interested in discussing all the ways people are different.  He wanted me to explain why he and Daddy wore hearing-aides and I wore glasses and why Zora doesn’t have either one.  Zora was a little concerned about something happening at her school, but was really more interested in whether or not this would impact our trip to Florida for Christmas. 

On the Monday after, I decided to drive the kids to school and walk them to class.  Why?  I guess, like most of the parents I was a little anxious and wanted to make sure they arrived to school safely.  Herman typically does all of the drop-off and pick-up duties.  Zora was thrilled with me walking her to class.  On the other hand, William wanted no part of it.  It was raining and he took off running toward his classroom building.  I decided to go to his classroom anyway.  I wanted to make sure he arrived safely.  After dropping off Zora, I walked to William’s class to find no sign of him.  I went down the hall and then back outside, where I found William and his friend rolling down a grassy hill in the rain into a puddle of muddy water.  Laughing, playing, having a good time.  I stood quietly for a few moments to enjoy the laughter of kids in the rain and then I proceeded to yell at them to take their little butts to class.
All of this to say, no matter what we grown-ups find ourselves worrying about, our kids will still be kids.  Thank goodness.

I am grieving this holiday for the parents who lost a child on December 14th and for all of the families who lost a loved one this year.  May the universe surround us all with love, peace, and happiness on each day as it comes.  Make the most of it.  For all of you who know me and know my mother well (who has also had to bury a child)  she always says when I am upset – “Life is too short and unpredictable to be unhappy.”  And then I respond with "It is okay to cry a little, but make sure you laugh a lot." 

Merry Christmas to all!

The Edwards Family

No comments:

Post a Comment