I woke up this morning feeling the need to reach out to several people who are going through the same thing I am going through right now - an unanticipated job transition. It is funny how people will say "Be careful of what you ask for, cuz you might just get it," and then we ask for a new house or car and it never seems to appear , but when we say "Oh Lord, if I could just have a day off or a time of rest" and we suddenly get it, how we are appalled and shocked. Well, just like the day off was delivered, the car or house was also delivered. You just didn't get it when, where or how you wanted it. We should always be careful for what we ask for, because chances are it will be delivered. Hence, we need to be very intentional about asking for help when we need it or support when we need it or allies and sponsors when we need them as well.
Monday, September 19, 2022
Don't assume. Be supportive.
Over the last few days, I have had several friends and former colleagues say to me, "you will be fine." They told me how great I was and they tried to tell me that I appear to always land on my feet and that a ton of new opportunities are on the horizon. And they each ended or started with "it's not like you need my help" or "I am not telling you something you don't already know." Well don't assume. Don't assume that the person who is going through a transition in life, does not need or want your help and support or encouragement. Don't assume that that they will be okay. Those of us who are going through difficult life changes will only be okay, if our friends and family work with us to circulate the positive energy that is required in order for our next opportunity to actually materialize.
Check on your friends. Whether they voluntarily left their last gig or were laid off due to the difficult financial times many companies are having, changing jobs and not having a job is difficult. Spread a good word about someone you know who needs a boost of confidence, an opportunity to demonstrate their talents, or to expand their network of opportunities. The support, allyship or pep talk from a friend is exactly what we need right now. Err on the side of assuming your friends and former colleagues need you, as opposed to assuming that they do not. I do not believe that bad things happen to good people. I do know from experience that untimely and unfortunate things happen to good people and it takes other good people to help them work through it.
I know that showing this level of vulnerability to the public is risky, but if it helps anyone of my friends with the challenges they are facing, it is worth the risk. Anyone who knows me, knows my entire career has been built on my willingness to take risk. Some good and some not so good, but all have resulted in my expanding me horizons just the same. Sending positive vibes to everyone in my network. Personally, I am enjoying every minute of my much needed downtime and I am prayerful that it will only last as long as I need and not a minute longer. Be well, my friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment