Thursday, July 28, 2016

Did POTUS inspire you last night? My response to his Convention Speech

Wow! I am not sure where to begin. It is 5:00am and I am not awake because of the way too early summer sun in the Pacific Northwest, but I am up because my heart and head were racing all night with enthusiasm and energy and hope and imagination.  I had to wake myself up from my dreams to see what was real and what was simply a dream. I am not in California anymore, which is where the last dream had me. I am in our new home in Washington, a state that supported Bernie Sanders at the Democratic convention in Philadelphia this week.  I feel a need to confess that when I moved to Washington, I registered as a Democrat for the first time since the 90s, so I could vote for Bernie in the primaries. Yes, I did. A year ago, my friends and I were hoping our dear friend, JEB would run and we were all prepared to support his candidacy.  He is smart, poised, rationale, diplomatic, empathetic, and an incredible leader, teacher, and follower when called to let someone else take the reigns.  I was disappointed when he did not rise to the top of the Republican ticket, but more importantly I have been nothing short of terrified, anxious and disconcerted by who did.  

For the first time since the campaign started, I woke up this morning energized, excited, and hopeful.  President Obama's speech last night restored my faith in this country and the Presidency.  His words inspired me and he reminded me that the outcome of not only the election, but the fate of this country is not in the hands of one man or woman, but in our collective action.  When he said "Yes, WE can!" I stood up off the couch and applauded as if I were in Philadelphia on the convention floor.  At that moment, I realized we can end racism.  We can end sexism.  We can end fascism.  We can spread love and joy and hope not by electing an individual and expecting them to do everything for us, but by supporting a movement that represents our core values.  First JEB then Bernie now Hillary.  Yes, I said Hillary.  I believe that it is time for a woman to break that glass ceiling.  I believe that we have a responsibility to hold our leaders accountable for their actions by getting involved.  I believe in forgiveness for past transgressions.  I also know that women are held to a different standard and that the media is unfair and that like me and so many other women leaders, it is so easy to become the scapegoat and get blamed for everything that is wrong in the world....but really?  Look at the mistakes Hillary has made in life and the outcome versus the one's that Trump has made and has yet to make.  Do we want him learning how to be a public official, a diplomat, an inspiring leader, and role model for our children on our dime?  I would much rather get involved and hold Hillary and the rest of the elected officials feet to the fire by voting, engaging, volunteering, and speaking out than spending one dime, one minute trying to help Trump learn things that we all should have learned in kindergarten or Sunday school - like be kind to others and have faith in God.  

On CNN last night David Axelrod, said something like "as much as I admire President Obama, I doubt anyone decided to vote for Hillary because of his speech"...well Mr. Axelrod, I have not decided to vote for her yet, but I have decided not to vote against her.  She is running for the most important office in our nation and we must take that seriously. President Obama reminded me of all the times I have been ruled out because I was too young, too dark, too female, and even too smart and I will not make the mistake of doing that to a woman who is more qualified than any man who has ever held the office of a President to date.  As POTUS said she is more qualified than he and Bill put together!  


God's speed Hillary and dear Lord, please keep blessing America.  The greatest country on earth.

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear from you and learn the choice that you have made. Although I did not have to change my party, but for awhile I was uncertain about voting for Hillary, I knew I would not vote for Bernie (I wasn't impressed with his experience in Congress and I felt that he was being used by a movement), and......I knew from the very beginning that I would not vote Republican. Thus, I sat on the fence and did so serious soul searching.

    As I watched the debates and campaigns unfold, examined the charges against Hillary, I decided that those claims/charges were not enough for me to not vote for her. I'm still hesitate about how she's going to handle her connection with Wall Street and I am really focusing on who will serve in her Administration. I have always been inspired by her service and her passion for helping children and families.

    As for the issues about trust, my take is, when anyone embark on unfamiliar waters, there will be times when they make mistakes and wrong choices. In looking at the work/accomplishments she has made, mistakes are made. I voted for Jeb Bush twice, and for his brother, once. I truly feel I made mistakes and promise not to vote Republican ever again.

    Sometimes, I become upset with my Democratic Party, but what keeps me in this party is I can count on this party to be for the people. They may not get it right all the time, but for the most part, everyone is included.

    The Democratic Convention was one of the best ever. I watched from the Platform Committee Meeting held in Orlando to the very first day of the convention. Yes, there were some difficult moments with Bernie' group and there were issues that I disagreed with. However, I am proud and happy that they were able to resolve the issues and come together. A perfect example of people with different ideas and beliefs are able to work together to solve problems.

    Again, Carladenise, it is a thrill to hear from you, and I will not be surprised if your next move will be in Washington, D.C working with the next President of the United States, Hillary Clinton.

    Blessings to you and your family, as always, so good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete