![]() |
| Visiting Grandma Barzzey's Grave |
We are just returning from a short trip to St. Thomas to attend the funeral of my husband's dearly beloved brother, Mr. Leslie Millin, Sr.
This was an unexpected trip, but one we knew we could not miss. Our kids have not been to the island of St. Thomas since they were infants. Herman and I were both really excited about taking William and Zora to the place where their father grew up and lived a very modest life. Our hope was that they learn a little family history and experience West Indian culture. It ends up, we learned more about our kids values than they probably learned about ours.
For those who have followed my blog, you probably recognize that I am inspired to write about the things that make me smile, when I really, really want to frown. The following reflections will make you smile as well. William and Zora are a hot mess, just like their momma.
Here goes - Top 10 Ways to Recognize a Spoiled/Blessed Child + 1:
1) You know your 8 and 10 year old are spoiled when you arrive at your destination, park the car and the kids ask "What happened to the valet? Is he sick? Is he on a break from work?"
| Magen's Bay |
2) Didn't realize my kids didn't know what sweat was until we got off plane in St. Thomas and my 8 year old asks "Why there are tears coming from my arm pits?" I said "That is sweat." She says "I'm not playing soccer. I am just standing still."
3) We sat down to have dinner with family and after the waiter tells us the special, the kids ask me how many appetizers can they order. If they hadn't been on their best behavior all day, I probably would have been embarrassed.
4) You know your kids eat out too much, when your 8 year old orders her own food and asks for a "NY Strip Steak, medium well and please substitute the fancy side dish with French Fries" and the 10 year old says "Can you tell me how the shrimp is prepared?"
5) I am not sure why my children think we should have a Christmas tree in every room with a different color theme on each tree? They are convinced we are poor because we only have one tree. Is this a sign of staying in too many hotels or visiting too many shopping plazas?
6) I am still trying to figure out why my son woke up the morning of our plane trip and asked if we are flying on a private jet. He says he has ridden on a regular plane already and it is time to try something new.
7) We arrived at the beach and it was crowded. The kids asked if we were in the wrong place. "How did all of these people know about the beach?" We went to the pool to find no people and they exclaimed..."this is more like it."
![]() |
| Mahogany Run |
8) The morning of the funeral, we were blessed to see a double rainbow. My two kids begged their dad to follow the rainbow to the end. They just knew there was one pot of gold for each of them, so they wouldn't have to share.
9) My proudest moment was during the funeral service and the kids asked why no one asked them to serve on the altar. The moment was quickly compromised when my son shared how much fun it would be to light the ton of candles displayed throughout the church.
10) After the service, the kids learned that the Governor of the USVI was in attendance and they wanted to know why he didn't sit next to them. "Weren't we in the V.I.P. Section?"
11) When their uncle climbed in the limo and shared he had never been in a stretch limo, my 10 year old took much pride in showing him how all of the buttons worked. OMG! I am totally embarrassed now.
In conclusion, even though I think my eyes were opened wider than my kids each time they demonstrated to me or their relatives that we come from another planet called California, I was so incredibly proud of how well behaved, sensitive and appreciative they were throughout the entire trip. Everywhere we went, people would take the time to say how well mannered and polite they were and how handsome our family was.
Despite the circumstances of having to go home to attend a funeral, it was a lovely trip, full of blessings and burst of sadness followed by joy. My daughter told me this morning, she didn't want any presents for Christmas other than her Nana and ChaCha (grandparents) to visit on Christmas Day and stay as long as they can. I enjoyed this moment for the novel few seconds that it lasted. She quickly informed me if she is not going to get the convertible she has been asking for or the golden retriever, Nana and ChaCha will do.
May Mr. Millin rest in peace and the Lord continue to bless our family with his loving memory.
Happy Holidays!
carladenise -MOMager to William and Zora


Carla, so sorry to learn of your family's lost. Sending heartfelt condolence to you. Gerri Rivers
ReplyDelete